LP2 LESSON PLAN prepared by: Phil Fournier
The TYPE of lesson, TITLE of lesson and ESTIMATED TIME:
Short DEMONSTRATION & DIRECTED DISCOVERY
on "Effective use of the Phil’s probe to pierce an electrical wire."
(6 minutes total time).
The STUDENT PERFORMANCE Objective - (BEOLSWBAT):
Condition: Given a Phil’s probe and a sample piece of
Person: each student...
Performance: will open the probe and insert the wire, piercing the insulation with the needles
Criteria: successfully, without breaking the probe.
The EQUIPMENT and MATERIALS required for the lesson:
· HANDOUT - showing the step-by-step use of the probe.
· Phil’s piercing probe.
· Sample piece of wire.
How INSTRUCTOR will FACILITATE student learning:
- Anticipatory Set (60
* Statement of objective (from above) - BEOLSWBAT
(By End Of Lesson Students Will Be Able To ... )
· Instructor shows wire inserted in the piercing probe.
· Tie in the importance of using step-by-step dexterity of hand to open probe without damaging it, and close it without undue force.
- Key Concepts (120
* Demonstrate each step on the handout (see attached handout).
for Understanding and Clarification
* Ask individual students questions about particular steps.
and Independent Practice
* Individual student will be directed through step-by-step process.
* Actual student practice will come after the demonstration.
- Closure (30 seconds)
* Reemphasize importance of the step-by-step process.
* Encourage students to use handout as a guide.
Handout to accompany LP2 lesson, demonstration and guided practice
Step 1: Grasp the Phil’s probe with the thumb pressing on the smaller ball and the back of the hand (little finger) pressing against the upper knob. (See illustration below).
Step 2: Push gently down on the ball with the thumb, observing the upper movement of the brass shaft and needles to a point above the slot, allowing for insertion of the wire.
Step 3: Insert the wire in the slot opened up in the probe.
Step 4: Allow the probe to close gently on the wire.
Step 5: Move palm of right hand to upper knob.
Step 6: Grasp lower knob with left hand.
Step 7: Very gently push down on upper knob.
Step 8: Take measurement from wire (hypothetical-we will not be doing this step in class).